Programs and Services
Outreach Support Services
In addition to the Social Housing Programs offered by the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society, we also provide support services aimed at supporting those who may be experiencing housing instability, homelessness or are at risk of becoming homeless.
Housing Assessment and Triage
The Housing Assessment and Triage program determines eligibility for the Housing First and Rapid Rehousing programs. It is a centralized intake and assessment service based on best practice, ensuring appropriate referrals to the programs through effective participant screening. Medicine Hat is currently the only community in Alberta that offers a centralized intake and assessment process.
The MHCHS’s Rapid Re-Housing (RRH) program is a 4-6 month program that houses or rehouses citizens experiencing homelessness, while providing the appropriate client-centred follow-up support to increase the housed or rehoused citizen’s health, stability, and independence. The program is geared towards adult individuals and families who experience chronic and episodic homelessness who also present moderately acute needs at the time of initial assessment.
The Housing Stability program offers assistance to residents in our social housing programs who are experiencing circumstances that are affecting the stability of their housing and making it difficult for them to have a successful tenancy. This program also provides case managers to help individuals and families access other community supports and services that will help them sustain their housing. Overall, participants in the Housing Stability program can expect to receive services for approximately 3 months. The support services include:
- Personal goal setting
- Advocating with landlords and other community resources
- Occasional attendance at meetings and appointments as a support
- Connection with appropriate community resources like the Food Bank
- Advocating for community referrals (i.e. Mental Health, Addictions, Family Support, and health care)
- Assistance in accessing various income sources
- Providing educational and employment options
- Life skills and household management coaching
- Education regarding budgeting, organization and time management
- Education regarding decision making processes
- Assistance with the exploration of financial options through research
For more information on our Outreach Programs please contact the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society Central Office 403.527.4507